What We Do
GLOBIO is an environmental awareness nonprofit that provides support to conservation organizations around the world, and shares their stories globally, while educating the public about our shared environmental issues.
GLOBIO’s mission is to inspire a positive relationship with our environment by connecting species, people and planet.
A world in which each person recognizes the interdependence of all life, and celebrates and protects the diversity which sustains it.
We work to attain lasting, scalable, life-changing impact.
- Seeking to create durable, not temporary, change.
- Investing in long-term, scalable solutions.
- Focusing on root causes, not symptoms, to create life-changing impact.
- Impact is amplified through strong partnerships.
Leaving ego and logo behind to serve our mission.
- Communicating honestly and clearly with partners and public.
- Using all resources entrusted in us responsibly.
- Asking of ourselves what we ask of others.
- Respecting the diversity of our partnerships.
We collaborate with respect and purpose.
- Recognizing collaboration always creates greater long-term impact.
- Listening to diverse points of view, including those that may differ from our own.
- Acknowledging and valuing partners without injecting our ego.
- Valuing the work and achievement of partners prior to our arrival and investment.
What is GLOBIO?
Founded in 2001, GLOBIO is a conservation nonprofit whose mission is to inspire a positive relationship with our environment by connecting species, people and planet.
GLOBIO realizes that for people to feel connected to species and planet, they must first understand their place within, relationship to, and impact on the environment. We do this by building global partnerships and creating powerful visual media and other learning resources to educate, motivate and empower, in order to create awareness and positive, real-world change.
Since its foundation, GLOBIO has taken on many different roles within the environmental education arena. In 2019, GLOBIO emerged from a multi-year period of organizational restructure with the launch of several new partnerships and programs designed to help spread awareness about the fate of primates in the wild and support those on the front lines of primate protection and biodiversity conservation — click here to see these new programs.
Is GLOBIO a registered nonprofit?
Yes! GLOBIO is a US based 501(c)3, our EIN is 93-1320592. You can find our legal documents here.
Where does GLOBIO work?
While GLOBIO is based in Portland, Oregon, we work with partners around the USA, Equatorial Africa and Borneo/Sumatra. With collaboration being one of GLOBIO’s guiding values, we strive to partner with international conservation organizations and wildlife rehabilitation sanctuaries to help promote primate conservation and community capacity building. Sticking true to our mission of ‘connecting people, species, planet’, each of our projects must have clear, measurable impacts on the people and wildlife living within the project site and the earth beneath their feet. Find more about where we work here.
How does GLOBIO operate?
At GLOBIO, we work towards our mission of inspiring a positive relationship with our environment by connecting species, people and planet. We do this by building global partnerships and creating powerful visual media and other learning resources to educate, motivate and empower. Click here to find out more about our visual media.
With our partnerships, one of GLOBIO’s main motivations is to encourage and strengthen sustainability and capacity building initiatives within our global partners, especially in areas where there resources may be limited or lacking. To that end, many of our current and future programs are geared towards capacity building through:
– Resource provision
– Skills training (especially with visual media content creation)
– Providing project funding opportunities
– Increasing global awareness of the partner organization and their work
Given the geographic range and variety of our partner organizations, each of our collaborative programs is unique to the needs and circumstances of the partner. Some of our schemes, such as the LUCI Light Project, can be scaled up or down to best meet their needs.
How does GLOBIO choose its partner sites?
GLOBIO determines collaborations based on need, interest, and alignment with our mission and values. Each of the sanctuaries we work with have high, strict standards of animal care and are committed to working with local communities and government officials to secure a stable future for their wildlife while spreading awareness about the threats that their region faces. Within our capacity as an American based nonprofit, we don’t intend to re-invent the conservation wheel, but we do hope to assist organizations on the front line of primate protection to expand their reach and continue their amazing work. Many of our partners have grown out of previous filming opportunities with Apes Like Us.
Is GLOBIO the same as Apes Like Us?
Apes Like Us is the name of GLOBIO’s primary film project within our Film and Video Division. GLOBIO Founder and Executive Director Gerry Ellis is the host and brains behind this witty, educational and in depth channel about the lives and struggles of great apes and the amazing people who care for them. Apes Like Us aims to shares the stories and struggles of those at the front lines of primate conservation, as well as the individual animals themselves. Another objective of ALU is to provide more insight into the many conservation aspects surrounding primates and their habitats, including: deforestation and habitat fragmentation, eco-tourism, zoonotic diseases, the illegal pet and bushmeat trade, and much more.
What are GLOBIO's goals for 2020?
In 2019, GLOBIO emerged from a multi-year period of organizational re-evaluation with the launch of several new projects and an additional team member. In 2020, we intend to expand these newer projects to maximize their impact on our partner organizations abroad:
- Fund the planting of an additional 12,500 trees for the Orangutan Tree Project (= $37,500) and create learning materials for the educational component of the project
- Disperse an additional 240 LUCI Lights to partner programs in need (= $6,000+)
- Film additional Apes Like Us segments and content for our learning materials in Borneo, Cameroon, Rwanda and Uganda (= $45,000)
- Expand our Travel with GLOBIO program to include Borneo, with additional trips planned for Uganda and Rwanda
- Create additional education pieces for our Great Ape Education Project
- Launch GLOBIO’s Traveling Educator Scholarship Initiative with environmental education nonprofits
How can donors help other than making financial contributions?
There are many ways to support GLOBIO outside of a traditional financial contribution, you can find more here:
- Leave a legacy by remembering GLOBIO in your will or living trust
- Ask your employer if they participate in corporate giving programs
- Sign up for our monthly e-newsletters and follow us on social media, especially our Youtube Channel Apes Like Us
- Choose GLOBIO as your charity on amazon.smile – at no added cost to you!
How much of my donation will go directly to programs?
At GLOBIO we make every effort to minimize overhead costs and dedicate the maximum amount of your donation to our field conservation and education programs. In that time, on average, about 80% of its revenue and donations have been designated towards programs.
Every program and project under the GLOBIO umbrella is driven by, and must adhere to, our set of guiding values:
– Impact: We work to attain lasting, scalable, life-changing impact
– Integrity: Leaving ego and logo behind to serve our mission
– Collaboration: We collaborate with respect and purpose
These overarching ideals help ensure that we make the most out of each collaborative opportunity to drive the needle forward for primate conservation and biodiversity protection. Find more about our financials here.
Can I designate my donation to a specific project?
YES! We encourage our supporters to let us know if there’s an earmarked or specific project intended with their gifts. GLOBIO will make the most out of your donation, whether it’s designated to plant trees in Borneo, illuminate a veterinary clinic in Cameroon or anything in between! Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about how we will maximize your contribution.
Get Email Updates
- Sign up to get updates about GLOBIO projects.